ceiling link ceiling tiles

Old 02-05-08, 07:30 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceiling link ceiling tiles

Hi all,

Anyone ever hear of or install ceiling link tiles? I saw them at http://www.ceilinglink.com/. They look like an alternative to suspended ceiling tiles but I'm not sure of the quality. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bsmtdweller

Last edited by bsmtdweller; 02-05-08 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-06-08, 06:04 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I have seen them installed, but not done it myself. They are good for limited ceiling space, BUT the main purpose of installing a suspended ceiling is leaving access to the area above for maintenance and expansion. You don't have that with this product. The ceiling tiles are not removable.

Old 02-06-08, 07:26 AM
B
Thanks for the info. Their website makes the claim that they can be removed for access. Here's a direct quote from their website:

"With CeilingLink you can have a durable and secure paneled ceiling without installing drywall or a suspended ceiling, and you can replace or remove ceiling panels when they are damaged or you need access to the space above."

But if that's not the case, it won't work for me. I trust experience over website claims any day.

Thanks again,

Bsmtdweller

Old 02-06-08, 12:12 PM
R
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
You don't have that with this product. The ceiling tiles are not removable.
I didn't see anything on the website that said that the panels were fixed...

If you want to get a panel out, you do need to pull the track apart at that location to extract the panel. This is more difficult than with a traditional suspended ceiling, but if can't afford to lose the headroom in the wire suspended system, CeilingLink seems like a reasonable compromise.

Ron

Old 02-06-08, 03:18 PM
Ron as far as I have been able to determine, you are in a Catch-22. The panels are held in with a double frame. In order to remove a panel, you have to be above to release the top part of the frame. So you would have to destroy a panel to get to the top of the frame. Now, most of these are installed in low ceiling applications, so gaining access from above may be nearly impossible. Just a few observations by checking their site and seeing one installed. Hopefully others have more insight on this through practical application.

Old 02-06-08, 04:40 PM
B
It looks as though the track can be pulled down from the permanently attached track on the joists and then the tiles can be removed for accessing the area above. Again, I am only getting my info from the website.

My joists are 7'9" from the concrete floor. Anyone have any other suggestions for a ceiling that allows for access but won't be too low? I'm thinking a suspended ceiling will take about 6 inches off my ceiling height leaving me with 7'3".
Code is 7'6"

bsmtdweller

Old 02-07-08, 12:04 PM
S
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
In order to remove a panel, you have to be above to release the top part of the frame.
I don't see why you would need to remove the top piece. The bottom snaps into the top, so just unsnap the bottom. You may have to remove several tiles to get one down, but how often do you need to get access? I could also see how you wouldn't want to be unsnapping and snapping frequently, as it would weaken the plastic.

I installed a standard suspended ceiling 6 inches off the joists in one room in my basement. It was tough getting the tiles in with the limited space and hangers, plus hangers for can lights. I may look into this system when I get around to finishing more of the basement.

Old 02-07-08, 01:42 PM
B
I agree Smalc. I think removal of the lower rail(s) allows for the tiles to be removed, then they snap back into place. It could be a bit of a hassle but as you state, "how often do you need to get access?"

I think I'll try it on a small storage area in my basement and see how it works. I'll post back and let you know how it works out.

Thanks all,
Bsmtdweller

Old 02-07-08, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the information, guys, I was just looking at the way it was made and an "after" installation. It may be viable, then for your application. Learn every day, or lose it, I guess.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: