Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Can I drill into cement blocks to attach paneling in our basement?

Can I drill into cement blocks to attach paneling in our basement?

Old 02-06-08, 09:39 AM
Red face Can I drill into cement blocks to attach paneling in our basement?

Just want to connect paneling to our blocks in the basement, but can it be done directly or do I connect the paneling to 2x4's to the cement blocks?

And is there a drill that we can rent to drill into the cement?

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-08, 10:14 AM
Because of the possibility of moisture problems in the future I don't recommend attaching paneling directly to a basement block wall. You're also eliminating the ability to run electrical circuits behind the paneling.

Having said that, you can use titebond construction adhesive to attach the paneling (no nailing) or you can use tapcon screws to attach 1X2's or 2X4's to the block and nail the paneling to that.

Tapcons are available at better building supply houses. If they don't know what you're talking about, you're in the wrong place.

A special drill bit (size and type) is required. the size will depend on the size of the tapcon screw you use. A regular drill is all the power tool you'll need.

Old 02-06-08, 04:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with George, it's a bad idea to attach the paneling [or even 1x2 furring strips] to a below grade wall. it would be better to construct a 2x4 wall an inch or so off of the block.

Old 02-07-08, 10:24 AM
does that hold true for concrete walls that have been formed by the styrfoam block with the plastic runners underneath? I have been told you can throw your dry wall up on them after cutting channels in the styrfoam for elec. lines

Old 02-07-08, 10:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
if you've got an icf,,,

home & the walls're true, just glue the drywall,,, your electricial'll need a foam knife for wire runs, too.

Old 02-07-08, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by so-elitecrete View Post
home & the walls're true, just glue the drywall,,, your electricial'll need a foam knife for wire runs, too.
Thanks
will glue be enough? for hanging pictures and general age and abuse walls put up with?