Leaking Roof Vent

Old 02-06-08, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking Roof Vent

Hi there.

I noticed last spring that there is a very tiny leak in one of my roof vents - just a slight drip, but can probably add up. We noticed it because we ripped out all the old carpet and noticed a wet spot under the drywall in between 2 rooms (the leak must have gone right in between thankfully - I think).

In any event, I wanted to start giving this some thought before spring hits again and the snow starts melting as I am expecting this will happen again.

Any advice on what I should do? If I hire someone to look at it, what would I be looking for in the yellow pages? I'm not even sure.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-08, 02:51 PM
Most sewer roof vents less than 20 yrs or so, have a rubber boot that fits over the pipe. More often than not, the problem is a split boot. It can be fixed by replacing the cap, but that involves removing some of the shingles, which may be fragile. Or you can slop around the boot with some roofing cement, usually good for 3-5 yrs.

Old 02-18-08, 12:43 PM
I had a similar problem with a leaky vent. Was not a problem with the roof penetration - was, in fact, a much less obvious problem.

It turned out that it was actually an elbow in my attic that appeared to not have any pipe cement put in when it was installed.

What happened, was that when it was cold enough outside for air to condense inside the vent, it would run down and drip out the unglued elbow, then run down the outside of the vertical pipe until it changed directions again (in the basement).

Subsequently, it would only drip intermittantly in the (thankfully unfinished) basement, and it took me 2 years to finally figure out the problem.

My solution was to go up into the attic, locate the leak (was very obvious once I got up there) and smear some cement on the outside of the pipe. Since it was not a pressurized system, this appears to have been enough to fix the problem.