Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Walkout doo basement... 32 inches.. can I make into 36?

Old 02-08-08, 06:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a walkout basement, bilco steel door, etc.. The door entry/exit is 32 inches. The foundation is concrete block. Is there anyway I can make the doorway bigger? I would love to put a 36 inch door in. Any option? Cut the block? etc?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-08, 11:02 AM
You really do not give enough imformation. I have to guess that the door is now framed with 2x? that is bolted into the block foundation. I also have to guess that the bilco doors are wider than the walkout door so therefore you have a foundation of sorts under these bilco doors that ties into the concrete block foundation and have stairs leading to the door. If this is true and if the opening under the bilco doors is wide enough for a 36 inch door, plus framing then Yes remove the old door and framing, cut the new rough opening for the new door in the block and install the new door and framing.
There needs to be at least 42 inches of width inside the area under the bilco doors to frame this door. The height will be the same unless you have a custom door there now. Attach the framing to the block foundation the same way it is now after widening the opening.

Old 02-08-08, 11:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Originally Posted by badeyeben View Post
You really do not give enough imformation. I have to guess that the door is now framed with 2x? that is bolted into the block foundation. I also have to guess that the bilco doors are wider than the walkout door so therefore you have a foundation of sorts under these bilco doors that ties into the concrete block foundation and have stairs leading to the door. If this is true and if the opening under the bilco doors is wide enough for a 36 inch door, plus framing then Yes remove the old door and framing, cut the new rough opening for the new door in the block and install the new door and framing.
There needs to be at least 42 inches of width inside the area under the bilco doors to frame this door. The height will be the same unless you have a custom door there now. Attach the framing to the block foundation the same way it is now after widening the opening.

That is EXACTLY how it is!!!!!

Question, by doing that, will it compromise the structure by cutting the block? Will I have any issues? Who do you recommend to do that? A masonary?

Old 02-08-08, 06:45 PM
Yes a good mason can cut the block and place the proper header needed. Who knows maybe he can even install the door. If not then after he is done then it should be a simple job for a carpenter to install the door.
The hardest part is finding a reliable mason and carpenter. Be sure you check references and go see some of their work. It should be no problem at all for a good mason or carpenter to arrange for you to see some of their work. They and the owner both should be proud to show how well the job was done.
Good luck with your project.