basement finishing help please

Old 02-10-08, 02:46 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile basement finishing help please

my basement is mostly finished just the person that put up the drywall didn't take it all the way to the floor. I need all the little lines in the wall sealed. What should i do?

Old 02-10-08, 03:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Drywall should never be hung all the way down the to floor. This prevents any spilled liquids from being wicked up by the drywall.

All the joints need to be mudded and taped. You also need to apply mud over the nail/screw heads. Basically you take joint compound and apply it with a wide drywall knife over these areas. The joints get taped - apply mud and then set the tape in the mud raking it smooth with your drywall knife. It generally takes 3 seperate coats of mud to finish.

Baseboard is used to hide the gap at the bottom.

Old 02-11-08, 09:00 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Boxing in HVAC ducts

I'm such a dolt I can't figure out how to post a question! But this area is discussing my subject, so I'm asking. I've always understood that if I'm boxing in ducting with drywall in my basement remodel, I don't need to put in insulation because the sheetrock already has sufficient insulative properties and is fire resistent. I'm planning on framing with 2x2's and half inch plywood to optimize the ceiling height. Does anybody see any flaw in my reasoning. Should I vent the vent area?

Old 02-11-08, 05:04 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I use, at minimum 2X2's for my soffit framing - and, if necessary, will use 1/4inch OSB for a stiffner as well to attach my drywall to. If my soffit framing is sufficiently rigid, I'll attach drywall directly to that. No insulation necessary - but won't hurt keep the heat/cool inside the ducts where it belongs instead of inside the soffit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: