Replacing basement windows

Old 02-10-08, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing basement windows

House is 7 years old, poured concrete foundation with a metal window frame inside to outside. Window is a tilt-in that slips into the metal frame. I assume I would have to remove the entire metal frame to properly replace the window? Seems if I did that the rough opening would accomodate a 32X19.5 window. Can the Slip-in windows, such as Tuf-n-lite brand, be used for ease of installation? I know HD sells sliding windows in that same dimension, but don't know if the replacement window will fill the 4" thick concrete wall from inside to outside. Does it have to fill out this dimension?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-08, 03:49 AM
Most vinyl basement windows are available built to the 1/4". If the metal frames are in good condition, I usually leave them in place and butt the window against them(measuered to fit). Then screw the frames into the concrete/block with tapcons, and foam around the frame for an air tight seal. This saves time, and time is money if you are charging for your services. If the old frame is too rusty, it much be cut/chipped out of the concrete, and the window sized for the new, larger opening. Obviously, you need to know which you are going to do before ordering the windows, and measure carefully. Enlarging an opening in poured concrete is not easy.

Old 02-11-08, 06:28 AM
I did basically the same thing but framed out the opening using a ramset becasue the concrete was too hard to drill and tapcon into. Then measure the new opening and ordered windows to that size and it was easier to then attach to the new wood frames.

Good luck,
Tom

Old 02-11-08, 02:49 PM
Just a note, drilling concrete requires a hammer drill or more, a standard drill will not do the job, even with a good masonary bit.