Lighting Advice?

Old 02-12-08, 04:31 AM
Lighting Advice?

I am laying out my basement plan for the permit submission and I need to put in my lighting locations. I know that I will have a finished ceiling with recessed can lighting. But I am not sure how many I should put in. The largest area is 12'x28' how many lights would you guys reccomend in that area?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-08, 05:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For an area that size, you could probably get by with 6 cans, spaced in a double row equally spaced from end to end. You can add accent lighting if you wish, to wash a wall, painting, entertainment center, book cases, etc.

Old 02-12-08, 05:57 AM
I have a 12 x 25 living room and I put 8 in there. I don't think I could get by with 6, it would be too dull. 8 seems like the minimum for my taste.

Old 02-12-08, 06:53 AM
I would go 8 (2x4). The rule of thumb I use is, a can will give a cone of light with a base equal to its height. You can imagine each can casting an 8' circle on the floor, then count how many you need for the space.

Depending on your level of finish your planning, I would definately add accent and other non-overhead lighting sources. Sconces, lamps, etc make the difference between a basic sterile room to a extension of the rest of the living space. You should also incorporate dimmers, 3-4 way switches, closet lighting for a higher end feel.

Good luck a put a lot of thought into your light configuration if you want more than a sterile box.

Old 02-12-08, 08:00 AM
Thanks Chris,

I did decide on 8 lights in the large area. I also would like to add some wall sconces to kick it up a notch. How many sconces would be over kill? I was thinking 4 total, 2 on the back shorter wall and 2 on the longer one, although it wont look uniform.

Old 02-12-08, 10:37 AM
13' x 35' rec room. I went with 12 cans, 2 x 6. However, I split the room in half and have the first 6 cans (2 x 3) on one 3 way dimmer switch, and the second 6 cans (2 x 3) on a seperate 3 way dimmer switch. At the base of my steps you'll find the dimmer switch for the first 6 cans, and an on/off switch for the second 6 cans. On the other end of the rec room, you'll find the dimmer switch for back half and the on/of switch for the front half. The lights are what divides this long room. The back half is video and audio, and the front half is ping pong. While playing ping pong, we have all lights on full. But when watching tv, we only illuminate the back half and have the lights dimmed down. It works well because we're able to create different lighting affects for different activities and the dimmers for the different zones are located close to the activities in those zones.

Old 02-12-08, 10:45 AM
I guess my next question is how many of the can lights can be ran on the same circuit. I plan on having 10 total in the ceiling, 8 in the main room and 2 in the hallway. I also plan to run a 100 watt fluorescent bulb in each. I think they need about 30 watts each to run. So thats 300 watts total, one thing I don't know is if I can run this many fixtures in series?

Thanks!

Old 02-13-08, 09:21 AM
On the sconces, you'll have to use your judgement. My gut says 4 is a little lite, but maybe be OK depending on your room use.

For your wiring question, I would calculate the max number of watts you'll need (add up each fixture), based on the maximum bulb the can is able to handle, rather than what you plan to use. You can have a fixed load at 80% of the circuit's capacity. So for 15 amp circuit that's 1440 watts and 1920 watts for a 20 amp. For more specific electrical questions, you should probably hit the electrical forum.

Old 02-13-08, 09:40 AM
Thanks Chris,

I would guess it might be better then to put all lights down there on one 20amp curcuit. That would be a total of 14 lights. If they are max wattage of 100 which is most likely the case, that totals 1400 watts possible out of 1920.

Old 02-13-08, 07:56 PM
The others have commented pretty good on the ## of lights, my comments are:
1 - since you are drywalling the ceiling try to think hard about how you will use the basement, both now & several years from now. Be sure to get enough light, harder to correct after it is done.
2 - put a 3-way switch at the top of the stairs. My kids leave the lights on down there all the time, having the main light switches (I have 3 areas covered) at the top saves a lot of up & down on me. I also have a landing w/ a with a full u-turn to get into my basement, because of that I bought a special type of 3-way switch called a "pilot light switch" that has its own little light in it that lights-up when the lights that switch covers are on. This is at the top of the stair case.
3- along the same lines at #2, single switches for closed-off areas can have motion sensitive switches & turn-off automatically at pre-set lengths. I used these for my back storage rooms. Cost some more, but they work well for me.

Earlier you mentioned using florescent's in the cans, then someone mentioned using dimmer switches. Will compact florescent's work with dimmers?