Sealing where Bilco steps meet foundation....

Old 02-12-08, 05:37 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing where Bilco steps meet foundation....

My house had a pre-cast set of Bilco steps installed (presumably when it was first built, some 40 years ago).

Now, 40 years later, the seal between the foundation and the steps is deteriorated and/or completely gone. When we get heavy rains and the ground is frozen, I end up with plenty of water squirting (literally) thru that gap. After the last storm I chiselled out some of the area where the steps and foundation meet, and added hydraulic cement. We're expecting a lot of rain tomorrow, so Ill see how it holds up.

I consider that a temporary fix.....so what would be a more permanent fix? Cant remove the steps (not that Id want to, and there is now a patio in the way anyway).

Would I be looking at something like epoxy injection? It actually looked like the seal that used to be there was some sort of epoxy, but I cant be sure.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-08, 01:24 PM
F
What kind of gap are you looking at? Just wondering if you're dealing with a narrow gap or a really wide one.

Old 02-12-08, 05:32 PM
C
Very small gap, *maybe* 1/8" (but barely if even).

I dont know exactly how the Bilcos are installed (they are still used in construction, I could probably ask Bilco) but Im guessing there is some sort of gasket and/or sealant that goes between the precast steps and the foundation.

It looks like the gasket/sealant on mine is dry rotted. I found chunks of it coming out at the bottom of the steps, and some of it came out on the sides of the steps when I chiselled out the area that recently leaked.

Taken from Bilcos website:

"Stairwell exterior joint sealant shall be preformed continuous butyl resin sealant, conforming to Federal Specification SS-S-210A, 1/2" minimum in any cross sectional dimension. Sealant shall be applied in a single band to the faces of the stairwell where it will abut the foundation wall and footing.

Stairwell interior joint sealant shall be a non-shrinking grout consisting of 60% Portland cement and 40% metallic waterproofing mixed with water to a mortar consistency, or in the alternative hydraulic cement equal to Thoro "water plug". Grout shall be applied to fill the interior joints where the stairwell abuts the foundation wall and footing and struck."

So it seems the exterior sealant might have deteriorated over the years, letting water to the interior seal. Unfortunately i cant get to the exterior seal anymore (concrete patio surrounds the bilco). Im wondering if epoxy injection might be the way to go, treat it like a foundation crack from the inside.
-Chris

Old 02-13-08, 12:55 PM
C
I hate bumping threads, but my Bilco is leaking again....any help would be appreciated

For the fun of it, I called Bilco Corporate and their awesome recommendation was silicone caulk to fix the gap. I said thanks and hung up.

-Chris

Old 02-14-08, 07:41 AM
D
Mine to!!!! i get some water, with heavier rains, coming from both sides, down... HELP!