Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Repair foundation wall cracks from inside or outside?

Old 02-14-08, 10:09 AM

We have two cracks in our foundation wall leading down from the basement windows. Both are leaking. We have talked to 6 contractors, 4 of whom are franchisees who only want to sell their interior perimeter drain systems.

The 5th contractor sells the drain system but said he could fix the cracks with polyurethane epoxy for $1000 and the repair would have a 10-year transferable warranty to a new owner if we sell during that time period.

The 6th contractor is an older masonry contractor with more than 20 years experience locally doing waterproofing and masonry repairs. He says his crew will dig down the exterior of the foundation (by hand) repair the cracks using concrete adhesive and a rubber membrane, etc., for a cost of $3600He says it will never leak again.

I have read up on the epoxy crack repair and wondered if this would be suitable for this especially given the cost difference and that fact that I don't expect to be in the house another 6 or 7 years anyway. But I have also read that exterior repair is always preferable.

Any advice. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-08, 05:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
the 5th's suggesting,,,

crack injection w/hydrophyllic polyurethane,,, its a good systems &, as you realize, the cost's MUCH less'n exterior excavation,,, imo, most 'waterproofer' franchisees're ignorant about the mechanics of this work.

we'd charge about the same,,, if it makes you feel better, pay him the $1k, keep $1,300, & send me $1,300.

we routinely inject crk'd conc - try excavating UNDER a 3M gal tank install'd in estuary in moonachie over near giant stadium,,, 500gal of mtl 15yrs ago & its still working as we type :-) exterior repair isn't always preferable.

my $.03 ( free )