interior basement drain help

Old 02-17-08, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We bought this house in 2006 and have noticed that it has a water problem only when we get signficant amounts of rain in a short period of time and the ground is already wet. It happened 3 times last winter and once thus far this winter. Most of the water comes in at the northwest corner and then smaller amounts seep along the rest of the north wall. The water comes in between the floor and the wall. At this point we have seem to come to the conclusion that having an interior drainage system installed is the best bet. The first company I had come out and give an estimate was going to dig up and instal an inteior drain next to the footer along the entire north wall and half of the west wall so it would drain into our exisiting sump pit (never even has any water in it). They said they do not deal with sump pumps specifically so my concern would be if my current pit and pump would be enough to keep up with the water. The cost would be about 3100 dollars and is guarenteed for life (does not cover my sump pit/pimp keeping up, just that no water comes in where they installed the drain) They also drill holes in the bottom of each block so water drains out into the drain tile.
I am having another company come out this week for an estimate and from the material they sent it looks like they instal a perimiter drain on top of the footer. I do not know if the will want to put in a new pit/pump or not.
Which is actually better (each company says their own), a drainage system above or beside the footer. How do I know if my current pit/pump are going to be enough to keep up with the water? Any other advice? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-08, 02:03 PM
nterior basement drain help

Do not consider any system that is on the "footer" as you say, which may really be the floor slab. - They only collect water that has already leaked into the basement. Gluing vinyl to concrete is not a good route.

The installation of the drain tile at or below the level of the concrete footing that supports your foundation walls will remove the water around your footings. - I am surpeised that the first company did not suggest the entire basement, but there may be reasons for the suggestion. An interior drainage system can be very effective in collecting water and reducing the hydrostatic pressure under a floor slab.

You can always do a short term soulution that may work for your situation. This would be opening up the joint between the floor slab and the foundatiion wall and packing it with hydraulic(not portland) cement. This requires preperation and does work if you do not have a lot of water or pressure.

Dick

Old 02-17-08, 02:31 PM
This is the second system. it sets of the footer but bellow the floor : http://www.basementsystems.com/basem...waterguard.php
Is that still something that should be stayed away from?

As far as only doing the north and part of the west walls, he left the decision up to us and stated the rest could always be done later if needed. However, there have not been any signs of water anywhere else in the basement. (the east wall borders the garage, most of the southwall borders a sunroom which has been added on) so both of these have additional roof space which takes the water even further away. Even when water is not coming in through the floor on the north wall you can see a build up of residue on the block (effervesence? sp?). There are no signs of this anywhere else either. Anychance that by adding the drains to the north/west walls only that it would cause other areas to leak? I wouldn't think so as it is not just barricaiding the water from coming in there but is getting it away.

Any thoughts on my sump pit/pump? Thanks again.

Old 03-11-08, 01:53 PM
any more feedback here please?

Old 03-11-08, 02:04 PM

I personally do not think much of it. It is a cheap substitute for an interior drain tile system.

That system collects water after it has essentially entered the basement and funnels it some where.

An interior drain contols/collects water any water that is in the soil under the slab and areound the bottom of the footings. This will reduce the static level of the water under and around your slab by a foot or so, so the is less pressure to cause a leak and a bigger area to absorb a short term event.

I also do not like the idea of removing the positive lateral support that the floor slab provides and is required by some codes.