Change door frame 36 to 32

Old 02-18-08, 05:32 PM
Change door frame 36 to 32

Can you tell me hor hard would it be to change the frame from a 36 inch door to a 32? My basement doors/walls, ext are framed and all doors are framed for 36 inch doors.
Can you tell me how hard would it be for the contractor to change the door frame from a 36 to a 32 inch? Does he need to change the entire wall/door frame? etc? Just wondering how much work is involved....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-08, 05:46 PM
Interior or exterior doors?

Interior would be pretty simple, just add a top and bottom "plate" and studs on either side, put the new door in (prehung I assume?) then drywall the new stud cavity.

Exterior a little tougher......if its in a concrete wall youd need to fill the gap with concrete (or maybe stucco to "fake it" ?) if its in a wall with siding on the outside youd have to do the same as the interior except on the outside youd need sheathing, waterproofing (Tyvek ?) and then siding to match the house.

Can be done, just a little harder depending on interior vs. exterior.

-Chris

Old 02-18-08, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by chrisexv6 View Post
Interior or exterior doors?

Interior would be pretty simple, just add a top and bottom "plate" and studs on either side, put the new door in (prehung I assume?) then drywall the new stud cavity.

Exterior a little tougher......if its in a concrete wall youd need to fill the gap with concrete (or maybe stucco to "fake it" ?) if its in a wall with siding on the outside youd have to do the same as the interior except on the outside youd need sheathing, waterproofing (Tyvek ?) and then siding to match the house.

Can be done, just a little harder depending on interior vs. exterior.

-Chris
Hey Chris,

It is interior in the basement... The bath and office I want to change to 32... Don;t need that big of a door.... The gym and storage was going to keep at 36..

So it sounds like it won't be hard to do! Thanks!