Replacing basement windows

Old 02-18-08, 07:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Replacing basement windows

In my basement remodeling project I need to replace the storm windows with vinyl windows.
The size is about 31 inches and a quarter by 12 inches and a half.

Went to couple places including HD and they tell me due to the small height I cannot order slider window but JUST the hopper style.

Is this true???

Also, how critical is to get the precise size? It is getting difficult to get the EXACT size because there's a notch in the metal frame where the existing storm window sits.
Would it be ok to order between a quarter or half an inch in difference?

The current windows are within a metal frame which is inserted into the concrete foundation.

It is important for me to get these questions answered asap because I need to special order them...

Thanks....!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-08, 07:57 PM
Re hopper vs slider.....it very well may be true. "Been there done that" so to speak......it seems there are 2 "standard" basement window sizes. The old size (mine and yours) are 12x something (usually 12x30, 31, 32, etc). The new size is 15, 17 or 19 x something. 15,17,19 x something are easily off the shelf replaceable (HD has everything from cheap to expensive Andersens). The old sizes cannot be found.

I *think* I remember a couple basement window companies that would allow you to order a 12" high slider, I forget the name of the company though.

As far as sizing, you want to be pretty close, Id say within 1/4" all around. The bigger the gap the harder it will be to fill. I feel your pain though, the metal frame is inset in the concrete, and the only real way to know a sorta close estimate is to either remove the frame (which means no window while you wait for the special order) or just guess. I tried bending one of the frames on my windows to get an idea of just how much concrete is under it, and it seems in my case the concrete went right up to the horizontal flat part of the metal frame. Still have to order them though, and they arent cheap (just because they are special order).

Another option I found was glass block windows, made to fit *close* to your dimensions (like 4" block, 3 high and 8 wide = 12x32 window). You can get vents built into them, but if you need a LOT of ventilation these might not be your best bet.

-Chris

Old 02-19-08, 03:38 AM
Probably correct, but check with a local lumberyard. Their people usually know the products better that big box people. And you should be able to get windows to your exact size with little trouble.

Old 02-19-08, 04:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 133 Votes on 125 Posts
It's very likely that you will want to remove the metal frame (if you didn't already know that) and it's also likely that there may be some cement parging on the opening that can be chipped off to make it larger. If you have a cement block wall, the size of the opening (once the window is removed) should be closer to 32 1/2 x 14, or somewhere thereabouts. Many basement windows also have a sloped cement cap that can be knocked off and ground flat if more height is desired, making the block opening closer to 16. In the event the window needs to be kept back from the face of the brick, however, you need to either keep that original sloped cement cap, or pour a new one, so you lose some height because of that and those cement block openings are closer to 14".

So check the opening and see if it is cement block and whether parging can be removed to make the opening larger. If it can be made larger, you might be able to get up to a size where sliders are available.

Old 02-19-08, 07:13 PM
I checked at a lumber yard and they also mentioned I can NOT get a slider window lower than 15".

Anyone else know a company or website I can look this up?

Old 02-20-08, 06:36 AM
I could swear at one time, SilverLine listed sizes for their basement windows (the PDF is no longer available on their site). And they had a slider that could be ordered close to a 12" height. I believe that WindowRama (in Orange, CT....and maybe elsewhere) is a dealer for SilverLine. They are custom order though, so they'll get expensive (friend of mine already inquired.......I think they wanted 250 or so per window....for such small windows, it seems rather expensive).

I also had Basement Systems come out for a window quote. Funny thing is, they WOULD NOT install them. They were worried about the metal frames inset into the concrete. I never actually asked them if they could just order the windows for me, maybe its something I should try and see if its possible.

Right now Im leaning toward the glass block solution, because they are relatively inexpensive and easy to install (and easy to get......glass seller on Ebay can make custom sized windows and add dryer vents, venting panels, etc)

-Chris

Old 02-20-08, 09:50 AM
Try this link. The Silverline 8700 sliding window should work for you.. http://www.silverlinewindow.com/prod...P&type=Sliders

You could get them from Home Depot. I used to work there and am also considering them for the same purpose. When they design them have them size them to frame size rather thatn rough opening size. Try one for starters and see if it fits. I would make them probaly 1/8" smaller in eash dimension.

Old 02-20-08, 10:04 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by garywms View Post
Try this link. The Silverline 8700 sliding window should work for you.. http://www.silverlinewindow.com/prod...P&type=Sliders

You could get them from Home Depot. I used to work there and am also considering them for the same purpose. When they design them have them size them to frame size rather thatn rough opening size. Try one for starters and see if it fits. I would make them probaly 1/8" smaller in eash dimension.
thanks but if you look at that page you provided you will see that the "Minimum" height is 14-1/4".

The height I need is 12-1/4".

Went to 2 different home depots and they both told me that I cannot get a sliding window with that 12-1/4" height.

I know some companies make them becuase my local window place here quoted me already and confirmed they will get the size, it is just that they're asking too much, around $225 installed, and $175 or so for me to install (when a hopper window is about $75 at home depot), get the idea?

Thanks,,

Old 02-20-08, 01:03 PM
The SilverLine model meant for basement windows is now the "Series 500". But their site doesnt say what sizes you can get.

Again, like you said, if they are custom order they are probably pretty expensive.

I got a quote from Basement Systems for their windows and they wanted 375.00 installed/window. Glass block windows (albeit with a much smaller vent size) would run about 100.00 each, but can be had without requiring to pay for installation (i.e. DIY)

-Chris

Old 02-20-08, 07:32 PM
took the plunge and ordered the hopper windows from the local HD store, total $255 for 4 windows (I had a 10% coupon plus no interest for 1 year)......not bad plus they are low e, energy star rated so I paid no taxes here in CT....

I was originally wanting slider windows.....but.....$700 compared to $255.....I'd take the hopper model again....

Thanks for all replies....

Old 02-20-08, 07:42 PM
Mind if I ask what brand/model they were? (Im assuming American Craftsman?)

255 for 4 doesnt seem bad at all!! I might have to order some up too...I only need 2 operating windows and 2 stationary. might use glass block for the stationary windows.

-Chris

Old 02-21-08, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by chrisexv6 View Post
Mind if I ask what brand/model they were? (Im assuming American Craftsman?)

255 for 4 doesnt seem bad at all!! I might have to order some up too...I only need 2 operating windows and 2 stationary. might use glass block for the stationary windows.

-Chris
yup, American Craftsman, and they are energy star, so I assume they are good, or at least well made. I saw them in the store and they look and feel just fine to me.......

I wanted to get the Andersen but they don't even make the hopper style in less than 14" or so, my windows are 12" in height.

What I liked with the Andersen was the way they swivel down, they have two arms, one on each side. The one I bought have two littlehandles on the top to lock/unlock and the window will swivel down..

Old 02-21-08, 11:47 AM
Yeah I hear ya. Checked out HD today and sure enough, the windows are roughly 72.00 each custom ordered (not counting 10% off). Going to get a more accurate measurement and probably order tomorrow.

As much as I dislike Andersen windows, the Fibrex basement windows they had at HD were nice (especially for the price). But we're in the same boat......smallest is 14-1/4" high.

Anything is better than the hoppers I have now steel frame with aluminum sash........the cold that gets transmitted thru the frames alone is nuts........at least the new ones are all vinyl. The only worry I have with the new ones is how much glass space will be lost to the sash frame (the one really good feature about Fibrex from Andersen is the narrow frames). But hey, its just a basement, doesnt need to be perfect.

Just for the heck of it, I might ask how much extra it is for the argon fill (looked like there was standard glass, low-e2, and low-e2 with argon)

-Chris