Attic Ventilation for a Hip Roof

Old 02-19-08, 07:51 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attic Ventilation for a Hip Roof

I recently moved into a 1906 house in the Northeast. It has a hip roof measuring approx. 25' X 25' with a 106" peak. The chimney is basically centered. On the north and south ends there are gables with windows measuring approx. 24" X 30".

There are no soffit vents and no roof vent.

There is approximately 6" of blown-in insulation between the floor joists.

I would like to better insulate and ventilate this space. It will be used mainly for storage but if done right I could envision some sort of study or small play area being created as well.

1. What is the best way to ventilate the area?
2. What is the best way to insulate the space?

Thank you.

Old 02-19-08, 03:10 PM
J
If it is a hip roof, there are no gables. If there are gables, it is not a hip roof. There may be dormers with windows, and still be a hip roof. It sounds like you have the ventilation method at hand with the windows. Fabricate a screened/louvered vent for the top sash, install it and leave the sah open year round. The louvers will keep out rain, even wind driven rain, and the screen keeps out bugs. With N/S windows, that should provide good cross ventilation. If that does not work, consider a WhirelyBird ventilator. Use the brand name, others tend to be cheapened knockoffs.

Old 02-19-08, 03:43 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You should have about 1sq ft for every 150 sq ft of attic Can you put 1/2 of that in the over hang and 1/2 near the ridge with button vents. Lots of codes now dont allow turbine vents Rain water blows in.

Old 02-20-08, 06:07 AM
T
Thank you

So I have a hip roof with dormers, the windows in which could suffice for my ventilation purposes (That is the system we are now using w/o the screening/louvers.) Thank you.

Now if I wanted to make this space more useful, i.e. warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer what might I do?

I imagine step one is to formalize the ventilation with soffit vents and corresponding button vents to the tune of about 4.25 sq ft.

How might I then better insulate the space, particularly the roof? I've seen quite a bit of info on sprayed-on foam insulation; would this be a reasonable way to go? I wonder b/c I imagine it would negate the soffit/button vent system.

Thanks for anymore insights.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: