Vapor Barrier help?

Old 02-20-08, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vapor Barrier help?

I have a "Water Guard" system installed in my basement. It looks much like this,

As you can see in photo-shopped picture number 2 I have a vapor problem, causing a moisture line. Or something. I had a basement company come out and inspect it awhile back.

I was instructed to put a vapor barrier on the wall itself, but I cant find anything out there reccomending that. Infact it seems to go against it. They said to put plastic up over the wall so that if any moisture does come through the porus concrete it can run back down into the Water guard system.

Does this seem right?

I would think plastic up against the concrete could promote mold / mildew growth! Not to mention from what I can gather vapor barriers are suppose to go between the studs and drywall.

Or is this a supplimental barrier? Does anyone have any experience with this and can you tell me what exactly I am suppose to do.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-08, 07:44 AM
it seems that you may need a french drain system better than the one you have, i just was working on one at my home and it was not like that, mine was deeper and we used pvc,gravel and this mesh type but we went down deeper than you did...maybe thats the problem? im new to this myself. good luck

Old 02-21-08, 08:00 AM
I do not know how deep mine actually is, that picture was something random I found. I know my plastic strip is black not grey, even if that matters. Anyhow I guess I will try to find out what system it is and who installed it. This entire problem has halted my entire project. And with a new baby on the way we need the extra space! The sad thing is I have had basement company come out and structural engineer and had still different suggestions on what to do.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 02-21-08, 01:56 PM
im going through the same crap all these guys come out to our house and they all tell you different things, so far i have done the standard french drain inside and it it sucking alot of water.

Old 02-22-08, 03:43 AM
I finally got an inspector to come out and tell me exactly what to do about it and if its going to be a major problem in the future. The city was no help, basement companies wanted to sell me something and the builder is covering their ass.

The builder called me last night and told me to seal up the french drain gap with plastic...

Old 03-10-08, 08:58 AM
i had gotten a quote from the company that put your drain system in. they offered this pattented plastic-like vapor barrier that they hang on the wall and tuck into the drain thatt sicks up above your floor. they said it resistes mold and that any condensation that would form would drip down the plastic and into the drain system. call that company. i think it was called basement systems.

Old 03-11-08, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the follow-up. Its kind of late now, I did go ahead and seal as suggested by the builder the drain area. Good or Bad I don't know but I gave up getting the run around by everyone. I now have all my exterior framing up so its just going to have to do.

I did hear about hanging a sheet loose down the wall into the drain before. But then had others tell me anywhere that my insulation pressed up against it holding it tighter and creating air-pockets could harbor a virtual mold green-house. And it was better to allow full air circulation behind it.

So I just cut my losses and went with keeping the moist air blowing "up" the wall from the crack. Allowed the remainder of the wall to breathe.

Last thing to mention since you going through the same deal. If you do use that vaper barrier over the foundation as the basement place is suggesting. There was a worry that "if" you spring a leak, even a moderate one it would run the water into the drain system then to the sump. This seems like a great idea in protecting your finished wall. But obviously this is a major problem that needs to be quickly found and fixed. With the plastic barrier your going to have a harder time finding the leak early which could be more problematic in the end. This was mentioned by a licensed contractor to me. *shrug*

All taken with a grain of salt I guess. Obviously basements are a risk factor in any finishing project and anything could happen.

/rant off