Sealing Basement Walls

Old 02-23-08, 04:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing Basement Walls

I have concrete block walls that I want to seal. Unfortunately some of the walls are painted and some are bare block. DryLok does not recommend sealing over paint. Does anyone know of a product that can be used on both surfaces?
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-08, 04:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What does the painted wall look like? it may have already had drylok [or similiar] applied to it. If the painted block is still porous, you may be able to apply dylok over it without any issues.

Old 03-01-08, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the quick response and sorry for my slow reply.
The paint almost looks like drylok.....white, dull in nature, real hard to remove.
Someone told me there are rollers that have pins in them that I should use to create small holes through the paint. This will allow penetration if i paint right over. Any experience with this and does Home Depot or similar store sell rollers like this?

Old 03-01-08, 03:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never heard of a roller like that.

Unless you have moisture issues with the painted wall I wouldn't be overly concerned. Drylok can be applied over it's self. It can also be applied over paint - it just won't be as effective as a waterproofer.

Old 03-01-08, 04:22 AM
You are fast!

I prepared the walls with a pressure washer. The very next day I had efflurescense (sp) in several areas. Should I remove that with muriatic acid or just a brush. Or should I even bother?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-01-08, 04:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is this an exterior retaing wall?

It is hard to get a paint job on a retaining wall to last if there isn't sufficent drainage and sealing on the back side.

Effervescence is caused by moisture seeping thru masonary. A wire brush is sufficent for removing the effervescence but it is the continuing moisture that will pose a problem.

Old 03-01-08, 05:23 AM
No, it is an interior basement wall.
The weird thing is the white powder was not there prior to me pressure washing the wall. The next morning it appeared and there was a lot of it.

Old 03-01-08, 07:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
' pin rollers ' are us'd,,,

for epoxy & urethane floors to ' break ' outgassing, not for walls,,, better off using xypex imn-s-hfo than ANYTHING else,,, again, my opinion, but none of the h/o-diy coatings're worthwhile.

no acid - just a brush - STIFF brush ! ! !,,, efflorescence only shows up when there's moisture,,, any moisture transference'll ' lift ' a coating

you may already have an epoxy coating on part of the wall.

Last edited by so-elitecrete; 03-01-08 at 07:53 PM. Reason: 1