Installing flooring in attic

Old 02-24-08, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Installing flooring in attic

I have recently purchase a one story ranch in the massachusetts, I have a few overhead lighting and ceiling fan projects I am looking to get done, but these tasks are made difficult due to deep blown-in insulation in the attic. My plan was to remove the blown insulation and install fiberglass batts in between the joists probably R-38, and then lay plywood over the joists for easier mobility to get where i need to in the attic. Is there a ventilation/moisture control problem with doing this? Has anyone done this and have any tips on decking the floor? Also, the cellulose insulation I have now has no vapor barrier between the ceiling, is this right? Should there be a poly vapor barrier?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-08, 11:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The only problem I see, besides wasting good insulation, is if you compress the insulation by putting down a floor, you lose the insulation's ability to insulate. It must loft in order to insulate. How deep are your ceiling joists? Now, you can lay boards up there temporarily until you get your lighting done, but a complete redo may not be to your benefit.

Old 02-24-08, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
insulation

The joists are 12" deep, should be enough to fit R38, I am now just wondering if I need a seperate vapor barrier, because the blown insulation doesn't have one now?

Old 02-24-08, 05:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Normally with blown in, there isn't a vapor barrier (not sure why), but if you choose to put in fiberglas, use kraft paper backed, and install it with the vapor barrier down toward the living space.