Safe Room

Old 02-24-08, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Safe Room

I looked everywhere to post this and finally ended up here.

Has anyone installed a safe room - also known as storm closet?

this is for hurricane or tornado protection? It can be placed inside or outside the home.

Any comments besides BE SAFE?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Old 02-24-08, 01:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
A hurricane/tornado type shelter in a basement can be framed from within your existing area. Special precautions need to be taken to ensure rigidity, such as hurricane ties and bracing, as well as a substantial internal roof system to keep debris from falling in from above. It must be large enough to house shelving to store emergency supplies and have an auxiliary venting for fresh air. This is not a formal "safe room" as you have seen on TV, as they have sophisticated locking systems, alarms, oxygen supply, closed circuit cameras, and the like. Your room should be located on a basement wall which is under grade if possible. You may be able to google storm shelter and get more detailed plans.

Old 02-24-08, 02:02 PM
about storm shelter

thank you for your reply. However, I live in Florida and basements are not part of my house.

I looked at many sites that sell these things based only
on where it is installed and options. I have requested more information from ONE company that is located in Florida. So far I haven't received any information.

I'll keep working to learn more as these things are expensive and the demo shows they work (I expected that).

I am certain I am not the ONLY person worried about hurricanes/tornados. For that reason I will report back to this forum when I make my final decision. I would hope I never have to report that I installed it and IT WORKED because that would mean the rest of my home would be gone & this storm shelter saved me AND my dogs.

Old 02-24-08, 06:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Look forward to your report. And good luck with your search.

Old 02-24-08, 06:29 PM
I went to a hurricane expo a few years ago and had a nice chat with a guy from the university of fl who was there with a safe room exhibit that he developed

he had with him a safe room /shed great idea but no way am I going to ride out a storm in a 8x10 with no facilities that I have to go outdoors to access

(off course it would keep my tools safe )

Ive been looking at retrofitting a walk in closet in our bedroom as a "safe room " but its still in the "one of these days " stage

I used to have a link to the site but i cant find it , if I find it later I'll post back

heres a few links
http://www.hgtvpro.com/hpro/design_i...888683,00.html

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/may...rricane-before

http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/saferoom/index.shtm

what part of fll are you in ?

Sarasota has the ?fl house" exhibit and I believe thy have a safe room section

(honestly its not something that I'm terribly concerned with )

Old 02-25-08, 08:16 AM
safe room

Mango Man,
I live in Central Florida. I, too, wasn't concerned about a tornado or a hurricane until we were involved in 4 of them
in ONE YEAR. The hurricanes had not been in my area
for over 40 years prior to this.

I feel very fortunate having lived through the hurricanes with little damage.

By the way I am looking at safe rooms that are installed inside the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: