installing a full pull down stairway.

Old 02-24-08, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing a full pull down stairway.

A few years ago I was in a home that had a large cellarway with a full pull down stair way that was [B]counter balanced ]by wires, pulleys and weights that were actuallyrun along the inside doorway, up to the attic rafters and down inside the walls to below the cellar steps.

The stairway worked very easy and came to rest on the top step of the down stairway. It was attached by a large hinge at the top.

My concern before I start ripping out the ceiling in my stairway is framing out the floor/ceiling, leting enough room for the stairway to glide freely without damage to the exitisting walls, and how to figure the counter weights. The pulleys and Cables are not the issue.

We have plenty of walking space and windows in our attic, but currently have a metal and wood folding stairs in that space that is more trouble than it is worth.

Any suggestions, or thoughts? We would like to put an overnight/weekend bed and play area for the grand kids up there. Any insight would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-08, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think the stairs you're looking for can be found by visiting this forum page:
http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=26081

Old 02-24-08, 05:24 PM
Another option:

Rainbow Attic Stairs

Old 02-27-08, 04:34 PM
Thanks, but I am not looking for a pull out, or fold up stairway, but a regular full solid wood with stair treads that can be hinged and counter balanced that goes up into the opening and can come down for full access to the attic. Some one out there must be inventive enough to have some insight or suggestions on how to go about it. ???

Old 02-27-08, 06:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I can visualize what you want - I think. Basically a prefab set of stairs similar to what I call basement steps, finished on the back side and supported at the top by heavy hinges. How to run the counter weights is another problem.

If it were my home, I would be looking for a spot where the stairs could be permanently mounted. Perhaps along a wall. The underside could be turned into closet space.

Your plan has many variables and may need the help of an architect and / or skilled carpenter to pull it off.

Old 02-27-08, 06:13 PM
John, that Bessler stair company they talk about in that forum has a solid stair with pulley system like you mentioned. (It even has a hand rail.) When you push it up, it tilts back instead of folding.If you don't want an attic hatch that folds up, you just wouldn't put that on.

If that's not what you wanted, perhaps you'd just build a bigger version of the type ladder used on bunk beds and use the hard ware from Bessler.