Finishing basement with no windows

Old 02-25-08, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finishing basement with no windows

Is it possible? I have always wanted a finished basement with a nice office, but I am not sure if not having windows will be a setback to releasing the moisture. I know a dehumidifier would work wonders.

Basically what I am asking is if its even possible or a good idea to consider finishing a completely underground basement?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-08, 03:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Windows won't be your major means of releasing moisture, but how dreary it will be without one. You certainly can't use it as a bedroom without a means of egress, so an office is as good as it will get. You don't think there is a way you could get a window in, or is it totally below grade? Sure would be nice to have natural light in there.

Old 02-25-08, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Windows won't be your major means of releasing moisture, but how dreary it will be without one. You certainly can't use it as a bedroom without a means of egress, so an office is as good as it will get. You don't think there is a way you could get a window in, or is it totally below grade? Sure would be nice to have natural light in there.
I think there lies the possibility of a window, albeit a dropdown to the window which I have seen in many homes. An office and/or gym are what I want. I understand the lighting issue and how it would appear dreary.

Old 02-25-08, 05:32 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I know that I should not even go here! Hold ON! Larry is right, (That just hurts me to say). No windows no problem. Make sure you get a good dehumidifier like a Thermo stor and leave the other dehumidifiers out their for people who like to pay for electricity.

Old 02-26-08, 05:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Goodness, second wind, please...what are the attributes of the Thermo stor? Not familiar with that one. You say it is better than the cheapies?

Old 02-26-08, 06:16 AM
I would try to get a window for the natural light, ideally on the southside or more than one. I added an egress window to my basement and the light and feeling make the space much nicer. In my area, you have to have 2 means of egress to finish the basement (bedroom or not). I probably wouldn't have added it if I wasn't required. But now that I have I realize the window was probably the best investment in the basement. I DIYed it except for actually cutting the hole ($300-400) and the total cost was less than a grand with the egress well made from retaining wall blocks.

Good lighting and climate control are the most important things in converting the space from a basement to an extension of the living space. No one will want to use the space if its dreary and a different temperature from the rest of the house.

Old 02-26-08, 07:44 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Larry Take a look! Merv 11 filtration, more capacity, More water removal per khw. has service ports on it. average life is 10 to 12 years compared to 4 to 6. http://www.thermastor.com/Santa-Fe/