adding a basement

Old 02-25-08, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
adding a basement

I'm adding a basement on to a house that I'm adding a 12 x 30 addition to it is a slab foundation on that side of the house. so we planed to putting 5 pillars under the slab part of the old house to hold it up when we dig. but we can only get 1.5 feet from the house which makes the basement smaller still. So the floors for the 1st floor is unsupported for the 1.5 feet because of it. that would be fine but I'm adding 2nd floor also and it is going to cantilever in to the old part of the house 2 feet (in to the roof line). I'm think that with the pillar being added and they are going down to the same level as the basement. I can put 2 2 x 10 to make header along the end floor joists of the old part of the house also put wood blocks ever other joists to hold the header and then put joists hangers on them to tying the new and old house together will this hold?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-08, 06:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if you'e a pe,,,

fine,,, otherwise get a structural & soils engineer to design this,,, i can't imagine doing this work unless you're qualified or have professional guidance.

at a minimum, you'll need a supported grade beam to bear the weight of the house edge.

would your method work ?,,, depends on how many days you want to live there as you're described it.