Basement wall rod holes

Old 02-26-08, 12:11 PM
Basement wall rod holes

I am planning on finishing my basement and I have many rod holes in the wall from the forms when the wall was poured that I would like to fill in. Can someone recommend what to use to fill these?

There are probably 250 to 300 holes that I have to fill in so is there something that may go into a caulking gun to make it easy and fast? I was also thinking of using glue that adheres to cement but wasn't sure if this would work and stay in place over the years. Would regular outdoor window caulk work?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-08, 12:14 PM
Wink

If you are going to put up a wall over it why mess with the holes??

Old 02-26-08, 12:34 PM
I've had these holes leak water in my previous house. I think the builder puts corks in them but they rot out over the years and leak.

Old 02-26-08, 12:47 PM
Wink

Might look into Drylock paint it on The Quikrete has a hyraulic cement . Could trowel it on right off a hawk or small board. We hang a 6 mil poly on the wall from the sill plate then put up the 2X 4 stud wall.

Old 02-26-08, 01:26 PM
Thanks Ed,

I was planning on using 2X4 with the poly stapled to the 2X4 wall but should it be on the cement wall instead and does it just hang for circulation or should it be fastened at the bottom if on the cement? My basement is pretty dry due the ground being made up of mostly sand so do I still need to put a treated bottom sill? I'm going to use R13 insulation with the vapor barrier facing the drywall (or inside the room). I've also heard that there should be an air gap of about 1 inch between the cement wall and my 2X4 wall. Does this sound right?

Thanks again Ed, DIY is the best !!!!

Old 02-26-08, 01:43 PM
Wink

We set the bottom plate on that poly if its down on the floor some. Yes for sure use a P/T on the cement for the bottom plate. Then the R 13 in the studs Paper side to the room. A block like of R 19 in each joist space up on the sill plate all around the home.
Might think about it. Put a P/T 2X4 down on the floor first. Then build the wall on the floor stand it up . Then lift it right on top of the 2X4 and nail it. I dont set the wall out from the cement wall. Just so it lines up is all.