Basement Subfloor

Old 03-02-08, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Subfloor

I am putting in a toung and groove laminate floor in my basment. I am going to put in a subfloor over the concrete slab and I am not sure if I can get away with just doing 1" polystyrene insulation, or if I have to put plywood over it? I have been told that I need to plywood to spread out the weight, but my feeling is that the plywood would just add weight to the insulation, the laminate pieces that I'm putting down are 8" wide and 3' long.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-08, 06:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
i'd do both,,,

then again, i like a belt w/suspenders,,, 3/4" t & g p/t'd be my choice & don't forget a vapor barrier,,, doubtful the o'lay flooring'd have the flexural strength to prevent dimples in the sheet insulation imo.

Last edited by so-elitecrete; 03-03-08 at 06:39 AM. Reason: a
Old 03-03-08, 12:43 PM
Wood in a basement is a bad idea.

Originally Posted by pswen View Post
I am putting in a toung and groove laminate floor in my basment. I am going to put in a subfloor over the concrete slab and I am not sure if I can get away with just doing 1" polystyrene insulation, or if I have to put plywood over it? I have been told that I need to plywood to spread out the weight, but my feeling is that the plywood would just add weight to the insulation, the laminate pieces that I'm putting down are 8" wide and 3' long.
Hey there.

Placing plywood in a basement is just asking for trouble. Water is going to find its way into the plywood even if you don't have water leaking in the basement, whether from humidity from the concrete basement walls or from a plumbing leak. That water's going to collect in the plywood, and if it gets wet even once, it's not going to dry out easily. If it grows mold, you're going to have to rip the whole thing up. If you're on the fence about laying down plywood anyways, I'd say to just forget it and go with the polystyrene.
Check out our floor products at Basement Systems if you get a chance- we've got a lot of good info about keeping your floor insulated and safe from moisture.

~Jacques
<A HREF="http://www.basementsystems.com/basement_waterproofing/basement_floor/">Basement Systems</a>

Old 03-04-08, 05:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
we used their sys,,,

once altho not the newer products they're now showing.

if your house were mine, i'd still do what i suggest'd the other day.