Framing around Basement window

Old 03-06-08, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Framing around Basement window

I am about to frame an outside wall in the basement, and need to frame around a window. I want to finish the whole thing with drywall. The window frame is attached directly to the concrete, so I can't put a 2x4 around the sides, top and bottom to attach the drywall to or else it will be too thick, and interfere with the window. But the window frame is thick enough that I couldn't frame up to the edge of the concrete and then just glue the drywall to the concrete because the edge of the window frame would still show. So where should the edge of the framing be and what should I use to fill the gap between the drywall and the concrete? Thanks in advance for you advice.

Old 03-06-08, 07:52 AM
W
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Window

Could you use a 1x instead of a 2x4? Just a thought.

Old 03-06-08, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
I'd frame up a rough opening that is the size of your masonry opening... then apply a layer of 1/2" osb onto the framing that would extend back to the window. (glue the back side of the osb to the masonry for good measure) Then on top of that would be your 1/2" drywall. Maybe that would give you enough thickness to make things work.

The idea of the osb is simply to give your drywall some solid backing all the way back to the jamb. Keeping the rough opening the same size as the masonry opening keeps your options open for the future... in the event you change windows, or want to put on a 3/4" thick wood jamb and casing instead of a drywall return.

Old 03-06-08, 07:44 PM
Thanks XSleeper, great idea. I think that's what I'll do.

Old 12-06-08, 05:49 PM
T
I realize this is an old thread, but... while your idea sounds good, what would you do in an area where code requires that ANY wood that touches concrete be pressure treated. You wouldn't be able to put the OSB right up against the masonry opening of the window.

Old 12-08-08, 07:58 AM
PT plywood is available as an alternative.

Old 12-08-08, 08:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 844 Votes on 774 Posts
Yep, I probably should have suggested that in the first place- good catch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: