Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

drilled a hole up from basement and water starting beading down!

Old 03-10-08, 12:27 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

hey friends

im not sure where this post should appear, but since messed up while in the basement, i'll put it here

long story short...i wanted to move a tv cable which went up from basement and into corner of study directly above...since the cable came thru the wood floor, i wanted to move it like 3 inches back and 2 ft over so it comes behind the wall and i can add a cable box

i drilled up with a 12" inch drill bit since i needed a long one to get up in that area (this was probably why they had it thru the wood floor, it was just easier)...and i had to angle it slightly away from me too...i drilled up about 3 inches dirctly left of a receptacle wire leading up, so i knew where to drill...so i drilled a hole and pulle dit out and water beaded down...after going upstairs to look in the study, i cut a bigger piece of drywall to see whats i did...i came up right where i wanted to, but i pierced the outsdie wall behind it (stucco on outside), but it didnt penetrate thru the stucco....mind you, it was pouring rain outside so it came from rain, but is it common for water to get behind stucco and run down "weep holes"? or something like that?

anyway, i put a ton of silicome II caulk over the area that i slightly pierced...and it seemd to take care of it...i hope this was ok to use....is there something else i should have put on it...i hope not since i put the sheet rock piece back in last night, but if i should have doen more i can cut it out again

thanks
bam

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-08, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 35 Posts
It seems your error may have tipped you off in time to head of a costly repair.

Water should not be coming from the space you describe and the best thing you could do is remove the silicone and allow the area to drain.
The next thing you need to do is investigate where exactly the water is coming from before it does some serious damage.

Are you sure you did not hit a hidden water pipe or boiler line if you have hot water heat?

Old 03-10-08, 02:05 PM

It is not surprising to find water behind the stucco wall, especially if it is traditional stucco. The stucco is not intended to be the primary moisture barrier. This is the same as brick veneer and vinyl siding which all have a primary moisture control system behind them. - Usually the vinyl is so loose and floppy with many openings and joints, it often just dries out as fast as it leaks.

In stucco, it is expected and designed for. Usually, you have 2 layers of felt. The reason for the two layers is that even if the stucco sticks to the felt, there is another primary moisture barrier behind it that provides a barrier and a route for the moisture to get to the weep screed at the bottom of the stucco. - You just pentrated the moisture barrier and hopefully were able to seal it up.

Do not confuse traditional stucco with the Dryvit system of a synthetic stucco applied over styrofoam without a good system of handling moisture. Because of this, this system has had many moisture and mold problems and is not permitted over wood frames construction in many areas, but your proven traditional stucco is used commonly over wood frame structures. Dryvit is still permitted over non-rotting materials such as concrete and steel.

Dick

Old 03-11-08, 06:46 AM
B
Question

Greg and Dick...thanks for your replys

Greg...i definately did not hit any water line...again, i went up thru the header (albeit it was on an angle towards the outside of the house) and came up right where i wanted to...just went too far and slightly started to penetrate the wall behind...and i definately didnt get thru the stucco tho...i just figured if i could get it sealed up quickly enough, the water would keep running down where it was designed to...which i guess where Dick says it was supposed to

the only thing i really wasnt sure about was whether it was appropriate to use silicone II caulk??

again, this seemed to work before i patched it back up the next day

thanks
bam