Water leaking through mortar in basement

Old 03-11-08, 01:10 PM
Water leaking through mortar in basement

Hello - Our house is about 70 years old and is build on a concrete block foundation. After getting about 3 inches of rain the other day we noticed a trickle coming through some crumbling mortar down near the basement floor. As a temporary measure we used some epoxy (the type that you mix in your hands) to plug the hole to a depth of maybe 1 inch, but it seems to be all the way through the block so I feel like a better repair might be necessary. The concrete blocks seems to be fine - its just the mortar that's damaged. What's the best way to approach this?

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-08, 04:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
more'n likely its because,,,

soil acids're attacking the mile in the mortar,,, since the wtr's already found a weak spot, it won't attack the lime in the blocks as heavily,,, there're pinholes in mortar jnts so its much easier for the wtr.

there isn't a feasible & economic solution other's installing a sub-floor water management system imho,,, but you're right - your repair's temporary.

Old 03-17-08, 04:52 PM
Welcome back, so-elite!

Old 03-18-08, 06:39 AM
thanks,,, if you ever find out,,,

what i said/post'd that got me the diy-time out, lemme know sometimes i don't ' play well w/others ' as the banning mod said anonymously