Crack in floor joist in basement

Old 03-11-08, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crack in floor joist in basement

I noticed the other day that on of my floor joists, in the basement, has a crack in it. It is in the middle of the joist and goes across a few inches. There is sire going through a small hole for electrical. Not sure if it was always there or it happened when the framing for the walls were being put up. Is this cause for concern? I didn't see any other joists cracked. Should I just let this go? Should I do something to fix before we put up the drop ceiling? etc? If so, what should i do.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-08, 07:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I don't think that will be a problem, however, you can buy metal mending plates to screw in above and blow the crack. It will keep the split from getting any wider and ease your mind.

These are normally installed with Tico nails, but if you don't want to bang on that joist with a hammer, you can use deck screws. Pre-drill holes, first.

Old 03-12-08, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by connie View Post
I don't think that will be a problem, however, you can buy metal mending plates to screw in above and blow the crack. It will keep the split from getting any wider and ease your mind.

These are normally installed with Tico nails, but if you don't want to bang on that joist with a hammer, you can use deck screws. Pre-drill holes, first.
Excellent.... Thanks Connie!!!

Old 03-13-08, 07:45 AM
My electrician noticed another crack in another joist in the front corner of the house. This one looks longer then the other that is located more towards the middle. He also notice a few 'minor' cracks in a couple others. Is this cause for concern? When I add these mending plates, do i add to both sides of the joists? The one joist in the corner has about 6 or 7 wires pulled through a hole that it would be tough to remove all wire runs... How would I make prevent that one from cracking more, etc?

Thanks

Old 03-13-08, 09:20 AM
Might be tough to reroute the wiring/rewire it... but it's really going to be necessary to properly repair that joist.

If you've got a series of cracks working - you've got an issue that needs to be corrected. You can buy/make metal mending plates and/or use sistered 2X's.... be sure to make them long enough to make a difference.