Basement Moisture/seepage

Old 03-15-08, 02:00 PM
Basement Moisture/seepage

Hello all,

I have a basement that has slight seepage where the wall and floor meet. There is about a 1/8 inch gap allowing some water to wick up the wall. It is not enough to puddle, but it is wicking up the wall about 3 inches or so. Furthermore, it is in a few areas of the basement.

I had a foundation company come and look at it. His suggestion was to clean the creavice and put a bead of urethane caulk. At first this sounded good, but the more I thought about it wondered if this was a good solution.

I am questioning this because it seems to me that even though I put this caulk down the water could still wick up the wall behind the caulk. Seems like it may be just a band aid solution.

I am wondering if anyone can give me advice about this or had similar experiences. Is there a better solution??

I am going to eventually finish the basement, but may not do it for a few years. I am thinking about just trying this and keeping an eye on it the next year or so to see if does the trick.

Thanks for any advice!

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-08, 06:22 PM
I don't think the water will be going up your wall. It has to be coming down.

Old 03-18-08, 01:32 PM
i would put a sump pump pit in the lowest spot of your basement. this is what i did and it worked liked a charm. cost me $200. did it myself.

Old 03-18-08, 01:48 PM
Most basement water penetration issues can be taken care of by making sure gutters and downspouts are clear and carry water away from foundation. Gutters should be connected to drains that carry water away from foundation. Splash blocks are not effective. Soil should slope away from foundation at least 1'/50'. Gaps between sidewalks and driveways that abut the foundation should be sealed to prevent water penetration. Window wells should be properly maintained and have drains that carry water away from foundation.

If water penetration does not occur every time it rains, just during heavy and prolonged rains, then it is likely due to rising water table. In this event, sump pump and perimeter drains are options.

Keep humidity levels under control with a dehumidifier. Improve air circulation with fans. These measures will go along way toward preventing mold and mildew and associated musty odors in basements.

Old 03-20-08, 05:49 PM
I poked my head in my sump pump well and it was dry. Odd, perhaps, since we just had 2" rain.

I also noticed a 1 inch tube entering the well. Is this for some kind of drainage? Perhaps a perimiter drain? If so, I am wondering if it might be clogged up and how it might be cleared. I am beginning ro think this is part of my problem especially since I have never seen my sump pump go off in the 3 years I lived here

Old 03-23-08, 02:09 PM
could be a perimeter drain tying in. does the pump definitely work? a plummer may have to snake a camera through the drains.