&*%$#@&$ Radon Scam Finally Got me.

Old 03-25-08, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
&*%$#@&$ Radon Scam Finally Got me.

Just got the permit for my log home. Big red stamp on the plans: "Radon Mitigation Required per IRC 2003." How ridiculous - I don't even have a basement! I worked in nuclear power for nearly 30 years and can say with some authority that the whole radon thing is the biggest scam going, next to asbestos abatement. Plumbing is hard enough to hide in a log home as it is, and now I have to figure out how to hide another vent pipe. Fortunately, what I have to do in the crawl space doesn't look too hard or expensive.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-08, 11:53 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
1st let me say you are in beautiful country up their. 2nd for a crawl space you should be able to terminate out the side wall and run into a cooper gutter and up. 3rd I don't know how they can make you install this in your home! Must have a Democratic government up their.

Old 03-25-08, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm glad you said it, because I was thinking it. I would definitely check into the viability of the enforcement of that part of the IRC. Plumbing is a bear in a log home, as you have to loop all your supply lines from floor to floor and have slip joints on your drain lines.....been there, and even the inspectors were scratching below their belts when they saw all that.

Old 03-25-08, 06:44 PM
Chandler Great minds think alike. (well unless your talking about venting crawlspaces)

Old 03-26-08, 07:24 AM
This is my second log home, so I'm well aware of the difficulties with plumbing and HVAC. I certainly don't need this added aggravation. But if it's a code requirement I don't see how I could get out of doing it. And other than hiding the vent, it isn't all that difficult.

Old 03-26-08, 09:21 AM
Sometimes you do what you gotta do, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense to you! The whole concept of radon mitigation seems a bit silly to those of us who used to follow the mosquito fogging truck on our bicycles (breathing that toxin like crazy - but lived through it). But - sometimes you've got to figure the experts just might know what they're talking about. (Can't believe I'm still alive - all things considered).......

Old 04-01-08, 09:00 PM
See the new study where they said radon exposure lowers your cancer risk by 60%... Amazing!

Old 04-02-08, 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by dcanesdbs View Post
See the new study where they said radon exposure lowers your cancer risk by 60%... Amazing!
Just saw that today!