Humidex, just a glorified exhaust fan?

Old 03-25-08, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Humidex, just a glorified exhaust fan?

I'd like to dehumidify my basement.

I was looking at Humidex, Musty Basement Solution and EZ Breathe.

All these systems just seem to be glorified exhaust fans. Am I missing something here?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-08, 12:01 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
No your not missing a thing! In the winter in green grass states this would work. But so would opening a window 1/2 inch. Its very hard to dehumidify when you are creating a negative pressure in your home pulling all the high RH% air in from all the leak's around door and windows. If you are looking for a good quality that will save on electricity and have plenty of capacity for non load times here is my choice. http://www.thermastor.com/Santa-Fe/

Old 03-25-08, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So exhausting muggy basement air is a waste of time and money?

I was planning on building something to do the same as those systems, but for a fraction of the cost.

I like the idea of exhausting the air because its so much cheaper to power than a dehumidifier.

Old 03-25-08, 04:14 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Think about it. If Your basement has 65% RH and you install an exhaust fan to remove the RH%, you are making the basement a negative pressure. You will have to have outside air coming in to make up this pressure difference. what is the RH% outside 75% - 85%? Which will inteurn make you AC run harder to cool the air and remove the extra RH%. Much better choise is to run a dehumidifier. Your RH% will be out the roof during no load times with your exhaust fan, but a dehumidifer will not have any problems keeping up if it is sized right.