Installing prehng door in basement

Old 03-29-08, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing prehng door in basement

I am going to install a prehung door in the entrance to my finished room (which I am building). When you go down the cellar stairs and turn right at the bottom of the stairs, that is where the door is going to be. my issue is that the largest rough opening is 30" (for a 28" door) - I can't/don't want to go any smaller. The hinge side will be on the left as you enter, swinging inward. The hinge side has to go flush, perpendicular with the framed wall. This doesn't allow for any moulding on the side where this meets the wall. Also, the door won't be able to open up a full 90 degrees due to the doorknob.

I am going to try to install the jamb tight against the right side (as you enter) of the rough opening to give maybe an extra 1-inch on the hinge side. I the bottom stair step wasn't right there at the door opening I would have had more room to "play" with. Any suggestions I am missing?

|hinge side
|________ door
|
|

Wall - there is no 2x4 framing coming out of the wall side, I have to attach the hinge side of the jamb directly to the 2x4 wall frame.

Last edited by DB4156; 03-29-08 at 06:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-08, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Well, if that's all the room you have for a rough opening, and you don't want the door any smaller, that's the way it is. Not sure what kind of advice you are looking for since there seems to be only 1 way of doing what you want to do.If you have plenty of room inside the room on the right side, then yes, give your hinges as much room as you can.

You'll also want to carefully plumb your framing on the latch side with a 78" level so that you can just slap the door tight to the framing and nail it, without the use of any shims or spacers so save some space.

Curving that last step back to give you a little more room for the door RO would be an option that would be outside the box, but might create a trip hazard.

Old 03-29-08, 07:42 AM
IHI
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to install apocket door, this way your not giving up anything at all and able to maximize opening...sure a little more work initally, but in the big picture, more than worth it