Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Converting basement to crawl space (yes converting basement to crawlspace)

Old 03-31-08, 10:59 AM

I have an older cabin with a stone foundation - its a small house 22x28 - the foundation has heaved some over the 100 plus years - the basement is about 6ft.

I am sure the basement has flooded previously both from the brook (about 30 feet from the house) and the high water table (my basement has about 4 inches of water and my dug well, that is next to the house looks about the same level as my basement floor)

I don't need a basement and wouldn't use it as is anyway (utilities and plumbing are located in the main house)...

Could I just backfill the basement 3-ft with gravel and convert it to a crawl space? Should i poor new footings and add a sister wall first to shore up the bulging lower half of the stone foundation (2 areas)? Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-08, 12:18 PM
Wink

Might go read http://aboutsavingheat.com/crawlspace.html
Out of the box here. Cant see for sure what you have there. Might go around and like repost here and there on new footing to hold it up and insulation in the joist seal them . Let all the rest open under the home then and fill it in