Basement...

Old 04-07-08, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement...

I have started to finish the portion of my basement that was not finished prior to purchasing my house. I have about 1/3 to finish. Mainly just outside walls and two interior ones.

Here is the problem...I live in Colorado. I have almost finished framing the walls and I didn't start with floating walls. I looked and the other portion is floating. So 2/3 is floating walls I am not getting a permit, (I know I should). My house was built in 1994 and has no settling issues and no moisture in the basement. Can I just finish it the way I have been working? i.e. without floating my walls.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-08, 04:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi Grappler,

I am not sure of the ramifications of not floating. By not getting the permit, I CAN tell you if you have some type of problem, your homeowner's insurance will not cover repairs.

Your insurance will not honor a claim on anything that was not built according to code, inspected and approved.

Connie

Old 04-08-08, 03:53 AM
Depending on how far into your project you are, retrofitting with a floating bottom plate is still possible. Time consuming, but possible. If your studs are visible, cut them off, set your floating plate - and re-attach.

Your problem, if you consider it one, is that one day you're going to want to sell that house. On your disclosure sheet you will have to disclose whether or not you made modifications to the home, and whether or not those modifications were properly permitted. If one side of your walls is bare, the lack of a floating baseplate will be obvious to an inspector.