Building a concrete floor in the basement

Old 04-08-08, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My goal is to put in a concrete floor in my unfinished basement wich is 11 feet high and has gravel on top of a vapor barrier. I am in North-Eastern PA.
I looked in Home Depot and found a concrete mix for $2.95 per 60lb bag or $4.95 per 80lb bag (crack resistant. My basement is 300 sq. ft. and does not seem to be wet. There is no sump pump in it either.
What do I need to do? Can I just buy the mix, add water and evenly distribute, say 4 inches thick all over the basement?
Or should I use another layer of 6-mil plastic and/or any reinforcement/mesh?
Thanks,
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-08, 02:25 PM

It would be much easier and cheaper to order 4+ yards of concrete if you can get it near a window with a chute. - Uven with wheel barrows.

If you have a 11' deep basement, don't get a truck too close.

I would put down some 6 mil poly first.

Old 04-09-08, 06:07 AM
You're gonna spend $1250 - $1500 on bagged concrete - carry it around, try to mix it up yourself, and pour the floor continuously? 4 yards of mix will cost you around $500 - and will take a fraction of the time to pour, even using wheelbarrows. Check out rental facilities that will rent you a mixer on a trailer (mini concrete truck complete with concrete) that carries one yard at a time... If you have friends to help, it will make the job a lot easier.

Old 04-11-08, 08:25 AM
you might be able to get a pump truck to pump it in. There's no way in hell i'd do a basement with bagged concrete mix. It would take a forever and probably kill you doing it.