I Need Help

Old 04-09-08, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I Need Help

Ok guys,

I started another thread that got no attn. I had a big storm sewer back up over the weekend. 24-28" or so. I've got wood paneling in my basement and I am thinking I should remove it. What steps should I take in order to remove the moisture?

I have a dehumidifier going now, along with a couple of fans. I'm afraid I'll have to take all the paneling down, but do not have the money to do anything other than paint the concrete. Can anyone help me?

I could remove the bottom 30" of the paneling I suppose, and install a chair rail and a bottom portion of sheet rock or bead board, but I don't know what type of saw would work best. There are no studs there, just a few 1x4's which the paneling slats are nailed to. I would have to cut through the paneling and one of these boards in order to remove it at the 30" -32" line (where the chair rail would go).

If someone could please give me a detailed answer on what I need to do, I'd really appreciate it. I'm new to all of this DIY stuff.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-08, 08:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good, morning,

I'm not quite sure what you meant by " Got no attention"...Vic gave you excellent advice.

Do you have a circular saw? Set the blade to a depth just a little more than 1/4", chalk a level line at 30 inches on the paneling and cut it.

Or, just pull all the paneling down and leave it that way until you're sure everything is dry. Cut the paneling while it's down or just chuck it altogether and put up drywall.

The big question is: What caused the back up and how will you avoid a recurrence?

Connie

Old 04-09-08, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Basement Finishing thoughts

You DEFINITELY want to remove the wood paneling- mold generally starts growing in 24-48 hours on wood panels, and dust mites and other pests aren't far behind as well. If you remove them now, you can do it at the least risk to health and with less mess. Be sure that you don't use drywall when you replace it- even "mold resistant" green board isn't guaranteed against mold, and there's moisture seeping through the concrete walls at all times even if there's no actual flood.

When do you say "fans", are you talking about having fans circulate air IN to the house or OUT? Either way, it's a bad idea. If unconditioned air is being sent into the house, then it's bringing humidity from the outside (especially in the summer). When this warm air hits the basement, it cools and the relative humidity rises. Thus, you have MORE moisture in your home. If you're shooting air outside of the house, then you're shooting the conditioned air you just dehumidified out of the house, and guess where the air that's replacing it is coming from. So the same deal is happening there.

As far as painting the concrete goes, I don't recommend it- hydrostatic pressure will make the paint peel, and it'll look awful in a few years. You're in a tough place there. If you're planning on selling the home in 5 years, installing quality products on the wall might be a good call, as the housing bubble is expected to break in 2010-2012, after which the investment will be worth it as your home's value increases.

Basement walls don't need studs. Install runners and attach a hard-panel wall with dense foam insulation that can insulate the walls and allow for you to attach shelves, cabinets, etc. anywhere on the walls. Here's an example:

noads.com
Hope this helps- good luck with your project.

~Jacques Bouchard

Last edited by Shadeladie; 04-09-08 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Removed advertising link.