Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

How to move the cool basement air up to the attic

How to move the cool basement air up to the attic

Old 04-11-08, 05:13 PM
Question How to move the cool basement air up to the attic

My current basement temp is usually 60 degrees. Prior to my arrival at this address the attic was converted to living space. At the ceiling in the summer with the AC running it gets around 85-90 degrees the AC is set to 65-62 degrees.

I want to use a furnace blower motor and 8 or 10 inch pipe to push the basement air directly to the attic/2nd floor. I plan on building a box and using a HEPA filter. Is this a bad Idea or completely reasonable?

Thanks for your help in advance

Scoop Burt

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-08, 08:33 PM
Bad idea! Your basement does not have an endless supply of cool air. If you pull the air from the basement it will have to be made up buy outside air? Air from 1st floor? This air will take time to cool off. 2nd 60 degree air is not very cool. it will never be able to cool of the hot 2nd floor. Id say redoing the ceiling would be money better spent. Or getting rid of the ac for a unit that can handle the load.

Old 04-11-08, 08:56 PM
I am by no means an expert on this, but I don't think this will work as well as you hope.

The air in the basement is cool because the walls and floor are cool and air stays there long enough to reach equilibrium. If you move it to the attic it will be replaced by... what? Most likely warm air from outside, which isn't in the basement long enough to cool down much. In addition, if it's humid, you might find you have a condensation problem. You would probably do almost as well, more easily, by moving outside air directly into the attic, which might be good enough a lot of the time.

Is the attic tied in with the central A/C? If not, that may be the best course, but you may have to get a larger A/C unit to handle the extra load. Or maybe you could force conditioned first-floor air into the attic, but the A/C will still work harder because it's cooling more volume. All that's probably what you're trying to avoid.

Consider this advice worth about as much as you paid for it, though.

[Edit] I see airman beat me to the 'Post' button and said pretty much the same thing, more concisely.