Foul Odor coming from Crawl space

Old 04-14-08, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Foul Odor coming from Crawl space

Hello,
I have a problem with a very, very foul smell coming from my crawl space. I looked in to see if maybe my sewer line had ruptured, but didn't see any leaks, standing water, etc. I spot checked and didn't see any large, dead animals. What could be causing this putrid smell?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-08, 01:28 PM
The word 'foul' does not specifically describe the odor. Crawl space inspection requires more than just looking in. If foul odor smells like sewage, there could be a crack or leak in piping/plumbing. If it's a dead animal smell, there could be a dead animal somewhere along the perimeter of the foundation where it would likely not be readily visible.

A closer inspection needs to be done to eliminate all possibilities. Musty odor usually indicates mold and mildew. A closer inspection would reveal leaky plumbing, standing water, cracks in foundation. If in an area where there has been heavy rain, water could have entered the crawl space.

Crawl space should be dry with 8# minimum polypropylene vapor retarder overlapped and taped and run up sides of foundation and attached with silicone caulk. Check insulation to make sure, if batt insulation, that vapor retarder was turned up toward heated area above. If paper side faces downward, condensation can get trapped behind, saturate insulation and cause it to lose its insulative qualities, and cause mold/mildew problems and associated odor.

Old 04-14-08, 01:38 PM
Wink

INFO INFO sure helps us to try and help you. Just what all do you set up in this crawl sapce???? 6 mil poy down?? insulation on the walls??? any vents any outlets in the duct work if down there. No water build up down there???