Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

What type of base for a joist support to discourage termites?

Old 05-02-08, 11:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I was looking under my house and noticed a few beams supporting joists, that run directly to the ground in my crawlspace. I think I remember reading something in the building codes that no wood should touch the ground in your crawlspace, since termites can crawl up it.

Do I need to position these over a concrete base? And if so, what type of base do I need? Can I just stand them up on a solid cinder block, or will the cinder block break under the weight? I also plan to put plastic down along the entire bottom of my crawlspace, so if I do that, do I still need to use a cement base?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-08, 02:38 PM
termites!

there should be NO wood touching the ground. all beams/joists etc. should be supported by a masonry product, steel, or stone/brick. pour a footing and use cinder blocks; simple!
termites DO NOT NEED a wood product to advance to the house. they build mud 'TUNNNELS" up the side of the foundation or anything else. the only time you will SEE a termite is if he can't go up INSIDE a wood structure or in the spring when they fly. by the time you see termites, the damage is usually done. if you are concerne about termites, have it inspected and/or treated. termites are like rust; they do a great amount of damage a little at a time.

Old 05-02-08, 05:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
To further Mike's statement, we are required to place a galvanized "cap" over the blocks, supposedly to stop the tunneling of the termites. Termites must go to water every day, so a good footing treatment will place the poison to where they will ingest it.

Old 05-05-08, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have some concrete dek blocks. Would those be okay to use as a base for the 4x4 posts, or do I actually need to build a concrete footing? I've seen those Simpson Ties products that have steel galvanized caps that go on the bottom of 4x4s and screw into the concrete, but I've never poured footings before so I'd rather not if I don't have to. I was also thinking about possibly just using jacks to support the post, since I only have 14" of crawl space to the bottom of my joists.

Lastly, if I do have to pour a footing, how deep does it have to be?

Old 05-05-08, 08:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

- http://www.sweethaven02.com/BldgCons...02/fig0804.jpg

Termite shield on a wall, the principle is the same for a foundation pier.

Termites can build a mud tunnel

-http://www.bugrapture.com/mud%20tube2.jpg

up to and over the over the shield, so it must be visible for inspection.

Old 05-06-08, 06:04 AM
If you pour a footing it should be at least 8-10" in depth