Basement subfloor under vinyl

Old 05-19-08, 08:22 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement subfloor under vinyl

I am finishing my basement and I want to put vinyl flooring (the non-glue kind) in the bathroom and kitchen area. I would like to lay a subfloor down to bring the vinyl flooring even with the carpet (not yet installed). Is a 1/2" subfloor plywood OK for this? Or even 1/2" OSB? My basement is only 1/2 underground (walk-out) and is very dry. I did a vapor test by taping plastic over an area. I ended up leaving it on for about a week and I saw no sign of moisture.

Thanks for the help.

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-08, 03:25 PM
J
Any untreated wood on concrete will not last long. Even if the floor passes the moisture test. I would lay down 6 mil plastic, furring strips(cut from PT) then the plywood and the floor. And I would add blue/pink foam insulation between the furring strips.

Old 05-21-08, 10:20 AM
J
the company I work for has a product called FloorShield.

Basically if you can help it use NO-ORGANIC material. Plywood and Treated included. You're just asking for mold to start up in your long term.

By putting the FloorShield Down first you get padding between the floor and the concrete but you also get a non-organic barrier between the two.

You can then also get a non-organic carpet pad before you lay a carpet down.

Old 05-21-08, 09:35 PM
R
What about just laying 6-mil plastic down and then 1/2" OSB? My house is new, my basement floor is totally level, and there is no drain for water to travel to if it would get under the subfloor. And even if you used a product like Delta-FL, you'd still have to replace the subfloor if you had a flooded basement, right? I just don't want an over complicated method since much of what I am going to use subfloor on isn't even below the ground.

Old 05-22-08, 10:44 AM
J
well you could always consider installing a drain that could be tied into so that water that gets caught under your 6mil gets drained out.

really all basements need to be waterproofed before anything goes down. Especially if it's below grade and or there's no drainage to begin with.

You sound like you want something that is worry free, it's best to get the protection before putting down a floor first.

Old 06-02-08, 11:34 PM
Ditto to J Seven's remarks

I just spent $22K installing drains and sump pumps and carbon-fiber reinforcing my semi-destroyed cinderblock walls.

If drains & a sump pump had been installed when my mother-in-law built the house, then the house would never have experienced the type of structural damage which occurred.

I was lucky that the area that caved in was under the Bilco doors, but when they drilled up the still level basement floor, we found spots where the foundation had completely disintegrated & the house was maybe 6 months away from having to be dug out, jacked up, and the total foundation replaced! That makes the $22K sound like chump change, but the bottom line is: Do it right now and you'll save a fortune in the future!

Last edited by Magesse; 06-02-08 at 11:36 PM. Reason: typos