Boxing in Ductwork W/ Sheetrock

Old 05-27-08, 06:58 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boxing in Ductwork W/ Sheetrock

hello ppl, thanks for reading, first post here, iv been looking all over the net now for some time, i have a 20' long duct that hangs down 14" along the wall, does n e know a good link i could work off of, thanks alot, im going to use 1" * 2"' lumber for the box, that sound about good for the job???? thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-08, 04:02 AM
J
Drywall is heavy, so 1x2 might be on the small side, I prefer 2x4, but furring strips may be OK. As for a how-to, not sure of a link. Tops get nailed/screwed to the house framing, either directly into a joist, or a bridge between the joists. Not a bad idea to insulate that duct, also.

Old 05-29-08, 09:47 PM
M
I ran across this link a while back... not much instruction, but lots of photos.

http://dougaphs.smugmug.com/gallery/...39027943_kb6qy

Old 05-30-08, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
If you decide to use the 1x2 or 1x4's, attach your verticals to a substantial strata above, but on the bottom chord, don't attach it with fasteners facing "up". Make it to where you drive your screws sideways. This will give more vertical support for the frame. Place them on at a minimum of 16" oc and attach your drywall. If possible, and if you can find it, use 3/8" sheetrock. It is lighter and won't put as much strain on the boxing. I am like Bill, I prefer a beefier support system, but understand space considerations as well.

Old 05-30-08, 05:52 AM
T
I always build my soffits with 1/4inch plywood/OSB and 2X2's for framing - then drywall over that.