Vapor barrier

Old 06-05-08, 11:20 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vapor barrier

I m roughing in a small wall with door in a basement. The studs will be in contact with the cement floor. Do I nee a vapor barrier b/tween the studs and cement? How do I do this and if I put the wood over the plastic than attatch to cement would this defeat the purpose of the barrier as there would be holes in it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-08, 01:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Any wood that comes in contact with concrete will need to be pressure treated. Use it for your bottom plate only, and use regular spruce, pine or fir for your studs and top plates. No need for the vapor barrier. Hope this helps.
Oh, yeah, welcome to the forums!!

Old 06-05-08, 01:09 PM
R
To determine if moisture will be a problem, do a simple test: take a 3'x3' square sheet of plastic and duct tape it around the edges to the concrete. After 24 hours, pull it up. If there isn't any moisture on the underside, you don't need to worry about it.

If there is moisture on the plastic, I wonder if using pressure-treated lumber for the footers will give you enough protection to overcome the bolt holes that you'll need in the plastic.

Old 06-06-08, 06:57 AM
T
Oh, I never even thought of pressure treated lumber. That's great. The basement does seem very dry and I will have a dehumidifier in the summer down there.