Exterior of Basement - Repairing Questions

Old 06-11-08, 04:53 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior of Basement - Repairing Questions

I'm trying to help my husband... who embarked upon a job of proactively repairing the exterior waterproofing of our foundation. We have a concrete slab foundation with treated wood (in Alaska). The house is 25 years old and has cracks in the tar and tar paper that the original builders used. We dug down about 3 feet and removed the cracked paper/tar, and now we've washed the wall, slathered on some Henry's tar mastic, and after that dried we stuck on a Bituthene membrane.

Here's the question. My husband and I stuck the Bituthene barrier on the wall to extend above grade by about a foot - to where it meets with our siding. I don't consider the job done until that Bituthene is covered or hidden or painted or something! What can I do? I have about a foot of Bituthene visible around two walls of my house! Any suggestions? What goes over that? Can I paint it?

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-08, 05:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I think the answer to your double post would be the best. I have read and re-read the post several times, but without a good answer. Although it would be possible to paint it, the paint may not last through a season. You may be able to install lath and stucco over it, since the lath would do the holding and not the waterproofing material. Just a thought.