Sealing and painting flaking basement floor

Old 06-22-08, 05:35 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Sealing and painting flaking basement floor

My basement floor is painted. The paint is popping, peeling and flaking away in areas that appear to have been repaired by a previous owner due to moisture problems. The concrete is crumbling and flaking under the paint to about 1/8" deep in large patches in one area of the floor. Is there anything I can use to seal the floor and repaint it that will resist moisture induced flaking and peeling? I sanded off the loose paint as best I could (given the pitting), used TSP, power sprayed it and am now ready to repair the patches with some kind of concrete repair product. Then I need to seal or prime it. Any suggestions for how to proceed?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-08, 04:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I've not used it but you might try the drylok that is rated for floor use - as a primer.

It's tough to get any coating to adhere [long term] to masonary that has moisture coming thru from the other side.

Old 06-23-08, 07:57 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drylock isn't recommended for floors, but I don't know why. It may be adhesion or durability but they don't suggest it's use on floors. Will it stick to previously painted concrete? I may try it and hope for the best.

Old 06-24-08, 03:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
If I'm not mistaken drylok has a coating specfic for floors [not the one you use on walls] I don't have time but you might try their web site.

Drylok will adhere to paint but it isn't all that effective as a waterproofer unless it is applied to unsealed masonary.