Waterproof paint on the steel beams?

Old 06-22-08, 05:38 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Waterproof paint on the steel beams?

Basement contractors finished reinforcing the walls of my basement, so I have 2x5 steel beams all along the perimeter of my basement. Some are nicked and need to be reprimed (no big deal, I got metal primer) but I'm getting close to painting the basement as a whole.

I have 8 gals of Zinsser's Watertite latex waterproof paint. Can I put that on the beams as well? I'm basically painting the whole basement bright white and want the beams to blend in.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-08, 04:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
While you can apply latex paint over well primed steel, it is usually better to coat them with an oil base enamel. Solvent based coatings will hold back rust, latex will not!
White oil base enamel does tend to yellow over time. If this is a going to be a problem, I suggest spot priming all the raw areas and then applying a full coat of oil base primer to the entire steel beam.

Old 06-23-08, 01:45 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The problem is that the walls have a paint over them already. I don't know the type, but I've seen the results of putting an oil based paint over latex (or was it latex over oil). Not good.

But I'll start considering a change in plans.

One last question, can I use any remaining waterproof latex on the exterior foundation?

Last edited by robert_s; 06-23-08 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-23-08, 06:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
General rule of thumb is you can apply latex over weathered oil base on the exterior and oil base over interior latex paint...... but not the other way around.

Only the steel beams need a solvent based coating. The odds are your walls were painted with latex. There's a sticky at the top of the painting forum with instructions on how to tell what type of paint you have.

I've not used the zinnser's watertite [best I can remember ] but it should say on the label where it can be used.