Cistern conversion

Old 06-24-08, 05:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cistern conversion

Hello
Our basement is divided into 2. Half is regular basement and 1/2 is an old cistern built by waterproofing 1/2 the basement. We have installed a new cistern outside and would like to convert the old cistern to useable basement space.
The old cistern consists of 2 rooms total space 24'x26'. The basement is 7' high but the cistern has a cedar cieling 5' high. At present there only 2 openings in the cistern are one 2'x2' for access and a 5" hole for the water truck to put the water in.
My plan is to tear down the cistern ceiling then cut a doorway through the concrete wall from the basement to the cistern. It will probably be too costly to also cut windows so I am concerned about air light, circualtion and humidity.
Has anyone done anything like this before? Suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks
John

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-13, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interesting, I'm thinking of taking my old cistern (located under our kitchen) and converting to a root cellar. Have you attempted your conversion? Success? Comments? Regards Bob

Old 06-19-13, 10:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
Welcome to the forums Robert!

Since JohnSam hasn't been active on the forums in almost 5 yrs - I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on a reply