Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

have a raised ranch - wanting to install new floors in basement

Old 06-24-08, 04:40 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We have a 1985'ish raised ranch style home with half of the basement underground or so?

We have a painted cement floor (water lock type paint?) and peel-n-stick tiles on top of that. We liked the tiles but it was a bad batch from HD; a pallet sale I guess cause after about 6 weeks many started to pop off and we went back to HD to ask what went wrong? They refunded us for all 430 sqft worth with no questions and not returning a think. So I assume they were a known issue since it seemed to easy. we matched them the best we could and figured heck lets just leave them down.

Now we want to have laminate floor installed with a vapor barrier. Question is can we ask the installer to just leave the tiles down and place the barrier over the tiles? a few more tiles are loose but I assume the weight of the floor will hold them?

Just tring to do this "cheap" yet look and last awhile.

thanks for any help.

John

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-08, 03:59 AM
J
The problem was likely hydrostatic pressure, moisture coming up thru the concrete from below. And it would also be a problem with a laminate floor unless a proper moisture membrane is laid.

To test for moisture, Tape a 1' square piece of plastic or aluminum foil to the floor, seal all edges. Look at it after 24 hrs. If there is moisture, you have hydrostatic water. And you will need a membrane no mater what type floor is installed. As for laminate, each manufacturer has their own membrane, and theirs must be used or the warranty is void.

Old 06-25-08, 04:55 AM
J
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
The problem was likely hydrostatic pressure, moisture coming up thru the concrete from below. And it would also be a problem with a laminate floor unless a proper moisture membrane is laid.

To test for moisture, Tape a 1' square piece of plastic or aluminum foil to the floor, seal all edges. Look at it after 24 hrs. If there is moisture, you have hydrostatic water. And you will need a membrane no mater what type floor is installed. As for laminate, each manufacturer has their own membrane, and theirs must be used or the warranty is void.
Thanks I'll try that

most I'd say 90% are stuck pretty good the ones that came up had almost no "glue residue" left behind and when we put down the replacements in the areas that needed it those stick even better then the original?

again thanks!

John