Damaged Crawlspace Pier Replacement

Old 07-03-08, 08:25 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Damaged Crawlspace Pier Replacement

We are doing repairs in our crawlspace and will encapsulate with a vapor barrier when we are done. I have noticed several of our concrete piers are in very bad shape and suspect the damage was caused by the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

The precast piers are set on concrete pads. I believe it would be prudent to replace them before another seismic event. Can anyone provide guidance on the best method for replacement?

Below are some pictures.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and consider my questions.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-08, 06:53 PM
D
Sequoia,
It would be prudent to check with a foundation contractor and engineer to get their thoughts prior to taking on this project.
If I found the footers to be up to code and stable I would jack up each horizontal beam, crib them up well and chip out the old piers. I would then bolt/epoxy in Simpson post holders into the footers and cut new treated 6x6's to fit under the beams. Then install Simpson ties to tie the post to the beams, as before.
Go here for a directory of Simpson Strong Ties.
http://www.strongtie.com/literature/...l?source=hpnav
#47 AB/ABA/ABE/ABU Adjustable and Standoff Post Bases
Thanks for listening.

Old 07-04-08, 08:18 AM
S
Thank you for your comments.

Are you thinking of the Simpson ABU66? Unfortunately I would not have enough vertical clearance to position a hammer drill to drill a vertical bolt hole in the footing.

I removed the heater duct yesterday and got a better look at the other side of the pier and footing. As you can see in the photo below the pier has broken free of the footing and walked over 1”. I wonder if a new precast concrete pier block would nest in the old footprint.

It must have been wild to observe what was happening in the crawlspace when the earthquake hit. I think about earthquakes whenever I am working in the tightest areas of our crawlspace and the 4x6 beams are just inches from my head and check. Talk about claustrophobia.

Howard

We actually removed several inches of the crawlspace earth because it was so mold infested and to give me more clearance to get around.