Jackpost repositioning

Old 07-03-08, 11:38 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jackpost repositioning

Hi there, I am currently renovating a basement apartment. I have removed closet space that was in the living room and right in front of the bathroom that made a little hallway. There is now a jackpost in the center right in front of the bathroom door. I could just put something around it but it would look a lot better if I could move it three feet to the left(closer the the center of the house by the way). Is this something I can handle myself or would I need Help. I was thinking of just buying a new one, putting that in and removing the old one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-08, 01:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Structurally it is there for a purpose, and a 3' movement may make a weak spot. Not seeing your situation makes it difficult to give a definitive answer. You may post a couple of pictures on a site such as photobucket.com and either give us the urls or copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post. That way we can see what you see. It is possible that bridging the gap would work, but don't try it without good advice to do so.

Old 07-03-08, 02:24 PM
Also note there is probably a footing of thicker concrete under the post and the other spot may not have enough concrete to carry the load. Sometimes with new footings you can replace a post with two posts one each side of the original (so say one three feet away on each side.

This will not work if the beam the post is supporting is split above the post.

Most likely you would have to break out the concrete in the new locations and pour a footing under the floor.

Old 07-04-08, 06:47 AM
T
thanks, sounds way to complicated. I think I'll just disguise the post.