basement projects

Old 07-05-08, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking basement projects

im getting ready to start a project to fix up my floor...the problem is its new to me and i need any advice what product to remove the old owner's painting on the floor, product to repair cracks. does anyone know anything about staining the floor project is it worth it for basement/moisture type or will staining get ruined too?
pictures are here of my basement floors... one shows painting in all directions coming off two of them shows cracking area.
step by step advice would be much apprieciated...
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-08, 11:47 PM
R
This is what I got for masonry and concrete sealer.

I can't remember, but I think it was somewhere around $5/tube, likely less. I used it to fill in screw holes and cracks the basement contractors missed. It's a polyurethane, takes seven days to cure and is paintable.

As far as lifting the old, is there anything wrong with what is laid down now? Is it peeling or flaking away?

Old 07-06-08, 03:35 PM
basement project

Originally Posted by robert_s View Post
This is what I got for masonry and concrete sealer.

I can't remember, but I think it was somewhere around $5/tube, likely less. I used it to fill in screw holes and cracks the basement contractors missed. It's a polyurethane, takes seven days to cure and is paintable.

As far as lifting the old, is there anything wrong with what is laid down now? Is it peeling or flaking away?
thanks for replying.... i thought my picture came through but it didnt ....yes some area are bald and some area are chipping away, from the old owner who painted the floor with primer (gray).
its peeling off from humidity and wetness....so i tried some chemical but its not pentrating hard enough to remove it what
would you use to remove it?

try www.homerepairproject.site.shutterfly.com and see if you can see three pictures i ve posted for anyone to see.

Old 07-07-08, 01:27 AM
R
Proxy access denied.

You've tried paint stripper? I'm hesitant to use such much of a compound in a closed space. Even with the basement windows open, you'd need an oxygen tank to prevent succumbing to the fumes. It'll also likely get very expensive.

Did you intend to paint the floor again? If so, find a good open bare spot and test for moisture. Cut open a garbage bag, tape down to a bare spot, making sure it's sealed to the floor and 24 hours later, pull it up and look for moisture.

If you see moisture, you won't be able to paint until to correct that first. It could be why the old paint is coming off (might not be why, too).