Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Basements, Attics and Crawl Spaces
Reload this Page >

Adding a second opening/trapdoor to attic through ceiling.

Old 07-07-08, 12:10 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My house has a single Trapdoor to the attic on the second floor, located at one end of the house.

It has been rather tedious and uncomfortable to get to the other end of the house throught the attic, where I regularly like to inspect etc.

Is it possible to open a second hole in the ceiling at the other end of the house? I assume I would be limited by the spacing between joists up there. (What is that normally on ceilings/floors?)

If there are any DIY articles on opening a new attic trapdoor, please point me in the right direction, as I could find nothing after googling around!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-08, 03:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
If you can find an area that is innocuous enough to put one of the doors, it isn't that difficult. Determine, through an inspection from below and above the best location, so as not to interfere with wiring, plumbing, etc in that area. Once you have located that area, you can measure across from one joist to the other on the inside. If you skip one joist your should have a measurement of about 30 1/2". Now you have to do away with one of the joists. Figure how deep you want it, and if 30" is fine in one direction, then make it 30 in the other. Draw this off and cut the sheetrock out of the way. You will need to remove the remaining joist back 3" on either side of the end of the sheetrock. Here you will install two 30 1/2" (or whatever measurement you have) blockings the size of your joists (2x6 or 2x8, etc), sistered together and nailed to the other adjacent joists and then ends of the joists you cut off. You have now transferred the weight of that missing tooth to the other joists. All that would remain would be trimming the bottom, leaving a little lip on the trim to hold a piece of sheetrock, onto which you have glued some R32 insulation.

Old 07-07-08, 04:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
It's also possible that your house has [especially with roof trusses] 24" centers on the ceiling framing. If that's the case you can make a big enough hole inbetween the rafters.

As Chandler said - make sure they location you choose won't interfer with wiring, plumbing, etc.