Sudden Mold in Cellar

Old 07-09-08, 04:06 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Sudden Mold in Cellar

We have been living in our home now for 8 years and whenever the temperature in the attic would reach a certain level, a fan would kick on. Well, we installed central air conditioning five years ago, and short thereafter the fan in the attic died. We ignored it. But now, each summer, we have mold appearing in our cellar, and we have a huge "speed bump" in the hallway wooden floor. As soon as the weather cools down, the mold stops growing and the bump goes away. Is it a coincidence that this happened when the fan in the attic died? We have had no water in the cellar and eventhough we are using dehumidifier, the mold and speed bump remain. My husband thinks I'm nuts for suggesting that if we get the fan replaced this will all go away - says he's never heard of an attic fan not working to cause mold in a cellar. Any thoughts anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-08, 04:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Depending on age of the house, type of framing and if the house was not insulated, the loss of the attic fan may be contibuting to the mold. The newer attic fans are far more efficient and they can help save on AC bills. It can't hurt to replace it.

I would still inspect the walls closely, inside and outside, to see where the dampness is and if there are any cracks. They can be hairline cracks.